Thursday, August 14, 2008

Held hostage by my zipcode . . . . .

For years my Lobster has more than disliked my zip code. She complains that to get to many places you have to drive through it, with only two streets in the entire city maxing out at 30 mph. I like it for these two reasons. Until this week.
Ugh! I had internet issues Tuesday night. I did what all others would, called technical support. I spoke to someone who's primary language was English, go figure, for 45 minutes. He couldn't fix my problem. Amazingly he put me on hold and disconnected the call, he had my number, I didn't have his. The next morning I call again and this time the girl wanted to troubleshoot before she sent out a tech. Can't do this, I'm at work, she doesn't get this point for quite some time. Also, I can't call from my house as my phones are down too! I call Qwest to get internet service and this is what I get "I'm sorry ma'am, it's not available in your area. We don't know when, or even if, it will ever be." SHIT. I'm stuck with the dimwits. Call provider back, DEMAND a tech, apologize for being a not so nice person, get a tech, kinda fixed.
THEN THIS . . . . . SAME NIGHT!
We have lived in this house for nine years, pretty much know what our monthly bills will be. Opened the water/sewer bill normally around $60 and it's freaking $236!!! WTF!!! The meter read that we used 30,000 gallons of water! Being the filer that I am, I pull all this years statements, we average 10,000. I requested a re-read. They came out this morning and re-read the meter, it matches. However, we have only used 4,000 so far this month. The nice lady from the city called me tonight and all but told me that I'm screwed. The water went somewhere is what she continually told me. Really braniac? But where? We have no soft spots in the lawn, no leaking faucets/toilets, no pool, no swamp cooler, no garden, where in the hell did all the water go? I told her that I don't trust my jerk neighbor and wouldn't put it past him to sabotage us. Now we have a guy coming tomorrow and looking things over to see if there is an issue somewhere. Hmmm, don't you think we have already done that? Then they can MAYBE take it to the City Treasurer for a possible adjustment. Great.

5 comments:

The Numismatist said...

Oh come on, the neighbor may be weird but I can't believe that he would do that. No way. Too "by the book" and military mind-set.

Keep us informed. Also, ask Eris about strange people and their lawns. She has a good story for you.

athena said...

Are you defending him? He's crazy! Come check out the "No Trespassing" sign and the new scarecrow that both face our back yard.

The Numismatist said...

Not defending him. Yes, he is a little nuts. I still can't believe that he would steal your water. Everyone has a Nazi Neighbor. I am currently surrounded by them (a little touchy about that today).

The Numismatist said...

Come on, come on! You promised me a picture of the scarecrow!

Eris said...

How is it possible that you have not connected the dots here? You have a problem with your municipal water bill? You may not live in the OC, but I see something sinister here... and not from your neighbor.

Have you heard any SEALs barking near your home lately?